Can Breast Reduction Surgery Remove Stretch Marks?
Are you struggling with breasts that are so large you suffer from daily neck, back, and shoulder pain? Do you also have stretched skin that can make your breasts appear flattened and deflated, even though they feel like they weigh a ton?
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. David Dreyfuss has helped women find relief from discomfort and enjoy a beautiful breast appearance by performing breast reduction surgery. If you are considering this procedure, please continue reading.
Who Are the Best Candidates for Breast Reduction Surgery?
Having breasts that are disproportionately large for your frame can cause physical and psychological discomfort, no matter how old you are. During your breast reduction consultation, Dr. Dreyfuss will ask questions to learn about your concerns and determine if the surgery will help. A breast reduction can resolve:
- Chronic shoulder, neck, or back pain
- Chafing and skin irritation underneath your breasts
- Numbness or tingling in your hands and fingers caused by nerve compression
- Poor self-esteem
- Difficulty shopping for clothes and bras
- Mobility issues
Through breast reduction surgery, you can achieve the body you have always wanted and enhance your quality of life. If you’ve committed to maintaining a healthy weight, you may be well-qualified for breast reduction surgery at our Orland Park Surgical Center.
Patients who smoke, are obese, or suffer from diabetes or heart problems are not ideal candidates for this operation. Also, if you plan to have children, you may want to postpone your procedure until after you finish growing your family.
What Causes Stretch Marks on Your Breasts?
Several factors can cause or increase your chance of developing stretch marks on your breasts.
- Puberty: Hormonal changes accelerate breast tissue growth, which leads to skin stretching.
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy, your breasts start to grow as estrogen levels increase, promoting milk duct growth. This rapid expansion leads to stretch marks.
- Weight fluctuation: When you gain weight, fat tissue increases, and vice versa. With age, collagen and elastin production decreases, resulting in a loss of skin elasticity.
- Genetics: Researchers have identified a genetic link behind stretch mark development.
How to Eliminate Stretch Marks on Your Breasts
While you’ll have scars from your breast reduction surgery, they’ll fade over time. Dr. Dreyfuss’ ability to surgically remove your stretch marks depends on their location. You’ll find the best results with stretch marks on the underside of your breasts. On the breasts’ upper pole, breast reduction can tighten skin to make stretch marks less noticeable.
Are you a good candidate for a breast reduction to create a more appealing breast shape and position? To learn more about breast reduction surgery in Chicago and how to get relief from your overly large breasts, contact us today for a discreet consultation with Dr. Dreyfuss.